NOTICE: THE CPANET FORUM HAS MOVED!!!
PLEASE VISIT THE NEW FORUM AT: HTTP://CPAFORUM.CPANET.COM/
this forum will remain available for archive purposes only. SEE YOU AT THE NEW FORUM!!

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Career Questions, Advice & Job Search (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 CPAnet Forum : Career Questions, Advice & Job Search
Subject Topic: Career Advice: Internal Audit vs Big 4 Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LostAcctant

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 14:27 | IP Logged Quote LostAcctant

22 year old recent college accounting grad.  Not sure what I am looking for in a long-term career..

I've been fortunate enough to receive 2 job offers with very similar starting salaries, but I am undecided about which direction to go.  I would really appreciate any input and advice you could give.

Option A: Internal Auditor - global medical products manufacturer, 3000+ employees, publicly traded.  Would want me to get CIA.

Option B: Staff Auditor - Big 4 firm.  Would need to get CPA.

I am aware of the demanding Big 4 lifestyle, and understand most people jump ship after a few years because of this lifestyle.  Based on the job descriptions, I think I would enjoy the Internal Audit job more as it is a small team and I would have a lot of responsibility and I think I would constantly be challenged.  However, I understand there is a lot of future potential with a Big 4 resume.

If you were in my position, which would option you choose?

Back to Top View LostAcctant's Profile Search for other posts by LostAcctant

SoFar
Regular
Regular

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 15:17 | IP Logged Quote SoFar

Big 4.... can go into internal audit later, but if you go to internal audit, no big 4 in the future
Back to Top View SoFar's Profile Search for other posts by SoFar

cflas08
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 15:35 | IP Logged Quote cflas08

LostAcctant wrote:

22 year old recent college accounting grad.  Not sure what I am looking for in a long-term career..

I've been fortunate enough to receive 2 job offers with very similar starting salaries, but I am undecided about which direction to go.  I would really appreciate any input and advice you could give.

Option A: Internal Auditor - global medical products manufacturer, 3000+ employees, publicly traded.  Would want me to get CIA.

Option B: Staff Auditor - Big 4 firm.  Would need to get CPA.

I am aware of the demanding Big 4 lifestyle, and understand most people jump ship after a few years because of this lifestyle.  Based on the job descriptions, I think I would enjoy the Internal Audit job more as it is a small team and I would have a lot of responsibility and I think I would constantly be challenged.  However, I understand there is a lot of future potential with a Big 4 resume.

If you were in my position, which would option you choose?

If you're family-oriented, take the Internal Auditor job. Currently, I am a Controller and have never worked in public but I can tell you, I love my 8:30-4:30 schedule and the flexibility here. I have heard consistent stories about how people are struggling to keep their relationships and families together because of the long hours in Big4. I don't like the stress of not having my freedom so Big4 is not an option for me anymore. If I do decide to go into public accounting, it will be my own firm.

Also, since you'll already be working for a public company, that's an even greater thing. Being an internal auditor, I think part of your duties will be Sarbanes Oxley and filing SEC reports. I'm not sure about that though.

Back to Top View cflas08's Profile Search for other posts by cflas08

cflas08
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 15:37 | IP Logged Quote cflas08

SoFar wrote:
... but if you go to internal audit, no big 4 in the future

I beg to differ. Anything is possible. Internal auditing isn't that much different from external auditing so she may be able to go in as an experienced hire. Plus, she'll be working for a public company which Big4s caters to.

Back to Top View cflas08's Profile Search for other posts by cflas08

now!now!now!
Regular
Regular

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 17:48 | IP Logged Quote now!now!now!

Definitely big 4. You're 22, you can put in the hours. In return, you get that "stamp". Perception is everything - you can always get IA jobs later for a better work-life balance.

Back to Top View now!now!now!'s Profile Search for other posts by now!now!now!

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version