NOTICE: THE CPANET FORUM HAS MOVED!!!
PLEASE VISIT THE NEW FORUM AT: HTTP://CPAFORUM.CPANET.COM/
this forum will remain available for archive purposes only. SEE YOU AT THE NEW FORUM!!

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Accounting. Audit and Tax (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 CPAnet Forum : Accounting. Audit and Tax
Subject Topic: So... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Operation CPA

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 20:27 | IP Logged  

...how about that IFRS?
Back to Top View Operation CPA's Profile Search for other posts by Operation CPA

Goldbullion

Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 16:35 | IP Logged  

Does anyone believe that implementitng IFRS in the US will create jobs for accountants?

REG 79
Back to Top View Goldbullion's Profile Search for other posts by Goldbullion

carj3232
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 19:15 | IP Logged  

Goldbullion wrote:

Does anyone believe that implementitng IFRS in the US will create jobs for accountants?

Think of it this way, once IFRS is implemented every accountant in the world will be learning the same basic rules. This creates more competition thus decreasing the amount of jobs.

Back to Top View carj3232's Profile Search for other posts by carj3232

Zeratul
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 22:01 | IP Logged  

carj3232 wrote:
Goldbullion wrote:

Think of it this way, once IFRS is implemented every accountant in the world will be learning the same basic rules. This creates more competition thus decreasing the amount of jobs.

Not necessarily. IFRS is extremely principles-based, as opposed to rules-based, meaning adopting countries still have plenty of leeway in instituting the rules which will match their political/legal/regulatory framework. The principles may remain the same, but accountants should be able to create value by being in tune with the various manners in which differing milieus will result in differing financial statements. It's not necessarily the case that adoption of IFRS will result in uniformly relevant statements. Also remember that although the US and Europe have very strong regulatory systems, this is not the case the world over; additionally, not all regulatory systems have the same aims/goals. For example, in the US we have a strong focus on disclosure, while in some European countries disclosure in the financial statements is not as strong a point because the chief investors (banks and other large financial institutions) already have access to the data they need. The bottom line is that I am not convinced that IFRS adoption is going to create financial statements comparable the world over. I also don't think US accounting will be greatly, if at all improved by the adoption of IFRS, but only time will tell on that one.
However, I do believe that adoption of IFRS in the US will create a demand for accountants in a similar manner to how Sarbanes-Oxley did.
Back to Top View Zeratul's Profile Search for other posts by Zeratul

Operation CPA

Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 11:22 | IP Logged  

Zeratul wrote:

The bottom line is that I am not convinced that IFRS adoption is going to create financial statements comparable the world over.

I agree with this. It makes me wonder though; with each country being able to adjust the rules to fit their respective interests, won't we end up right back where we are now?
Back to Top View Operation CPA's Profile Search for other posts by Operation CPA

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version