NOTICE: THE CPANET FORUM HAS MOVED!!!
PLEASE VISIT THE NEW FORUM AT: HTTP://CPAFORUM.CPANET.COM/
this forum will remain available for archive purposes only. SEE YOU AT THE NEW FORUM!!

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
AUD - Auditing & Attestation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 CPAnet Forum : AUD - Auditing & Attestation
Subject Topic: Is this cheating on the CPA exam? Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rrrrrpitch
Regular
Regular

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 21:07 | IP Logged Quote rrrrrpitch

Does NASBA consider it cheating to use the research tab to look up the essay answer during the simulation part of the exam?

I want to do the test completely and honestly by their rules without cheating. Has anyone seen the answer to this some where in the rules?

It would be very easy for the AICPA test graders to find out if a person used the search tool to look up essay question answers if the information typed into the search tool is submitted along with the test. I would do this if I were them and I would deduct points for doing so.

F took 10/17/08 (Passed 89)
Back to Top View rrrrrpitch's Profile Search for other posts by rrrrrpitch

Retro
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 21:53 | IP Logged Quote Retro

My understanding is that it is OK to do this. Becker mentions using keyword searches. I personally did this on Regulation to check some of my sims. This is why I think there is the time limit. They know what they are doing. I feel like us learning to use our resources is part of what they want us to demonstrate. Remember, in the real world, we have to research answers all the time. I also feel like if this were not allowed, it would be said before taking the test, rather than deducting points after the fact.

If anyone has other thoughts, please let me know.

AUD 2/26/09 93

Officially a CPA in Texas
Back to Top View Retro's Profile Search for other posts by Retro

vennela
Regular
Regular

Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 22:03 | IP Logged Quote vennela

It is not cheating . We r allowed to do so . But I never found time to use RESEARCH TAB for writing communication part.

- passed all 4 CPA exams
Back to Top View vennela's Profile Search for other posts by vennela

surfernmobile

Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 13:31 | IP Logged Quote surfernmobile

rrrrrpitch wrote:

Does NASBA consider it cheating to use the research tab to look up the essay answer during the simulation part of the exam?

I want to do the test completely and honestly by their rules without cheating. Has anyone seen the answer to this some where in the rules?

It would be very easy for the AICPA test graders to find out if a person used the search tool to look up essay question answers if the information typed into the search tool is submitted along with the test. I would do this if I were them and I would deduct points for doing so.

you are allowed to research your answers, however DO NOT copy word for word from the research area. basically you should read the information and be able to put it in your own words.

I have basically done that with some questions and have not had a problem, although time is a major issue so you can't spend too much time researching your answers if you are running short.

FARE 02/28/08 - 95
BEC 05/07/08 - 89
REG 08/27/08 - 99
AUD 11/25/08 - 93
Back to Top View surfernmobile's Profile Search for other posts by surfernmobile

rrrrrpitch
Regular
Regular

Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 14:05 | IP Logged Quote rrrrrpitch

surfernmobile wrote:
rrrrrpitch wrote:

you are allowed to research your answers, however DO NOT copy word for word from the research area. basically you should read the information and be able to put it in your own words.

I have basically done that with some questions and have not had a problem, although time is a major issue so you can't spend too much time researching your answers if you are running short.

No offense but, has anyone heard directly from NASBA about this or is this all speculation about it not being cheating?

F took 10/17/08 (Passed 89)
Back to Top View rrrrrpitch's Profile Search for other posts by rrrrrpitch

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version