NOTICE: THE CPANET FORUM HAS MOVED!!!
PLEASE VISIT THE NEW FORUM AT: HTTP://CPAFORUM.CPANET.COM/
this forum will remain available for archive purposes only. SEE YOU AT THE NEW FORUM!!

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
AUD - Auditing & Attestation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 CPAnet Forum : AUD - Auditing & Attestation
Subject Topic: Material Level & Tolerable Misstatement (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
goalcpa
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 20:30 | IP Logged  

Could anyone please tell me the difference between Material Level & Tolerable Misstatement, in real simple words?

Also can anyone please tell me the difference between Significant deficiency and material weakness?

Thanks

Back to Top View goalcpa's Profile Search for other posts by goalcpa

TheRedRoost3r
Regular
Regular

Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 22:31 | IP Logged  

Materiality is the amount of error or omission that would affect the judgment of a reasonable person.  The auditor sets a preliminary measure of materiality.

Tolerable error is typically lower than overall financial statement materiality, and is for specific balances, transaction classes, or disclosure items.

BEC - Oct 10: 88
AUD - Nov 21: 90
REG - Feb 6: 89
FAR - Jan 3: 92
CA Ethics: 96
Back to Top View TheRedRoost3r's Profile Search for other posts by TheRedRoost3r

late bloomer
Regular
Regular

Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 23:43 | IP Logged  

Tolerable misstatement is the level of misstatement the auditor is willing to accept and issue unqualified opinion.

Significant deficiencies and material weaknesses-both involves "more than likelihood"; the only difference relates to the amount. Significant deficiencies refers to "a misstatement that is more than inconsequential"; whereas Material weakness refers to "a material misstatement".

Back to Top View late bloomer's Profile Search for other posts by late bloomer

lucky0416
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 09:19 | IP Logged  

Tolerable mistatement is the maximum error the auditor can accept, before issuing qualified or adverse opinion depending on materiality.

FAR 07/08 - Passed
Recently Licensed CPA! woho!!!
Back to Top View lucky0416's Profile Search for other posts by lucky0416

dsrajji

Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 10:36 | IP Logged  

Significant deficiency and material weakness:
 Significant deficiency is a control deficiency eg. a supervisor who approves time sheets of employees has the custody of paychecks and is allowed to distribute them to the employees. This is improper segregation of duties.
Material weakness is a significant deficiency: only if the supervisor misuses his authority or custodial functions it will result in a fraud and cause misstatement, which can be material or inconsequential. Only those significant deficiencies that cause material misstatements to go undetected or fail to prevent are material weaknesses

There may be better examples but I tried to explain the hierarchy here: all material weakness result from significant deficiency but not all significant deficiency go ahead to make material weakness.

I appear for this section on Saturday .... so would really appreciate if someone corrects me if I am not getting this right.
Back to Top View dsrajji's Profile Search for other posts by dsrajji

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version